|TIME：2015-08-20 17:03:00 COMFORM： AUTHOR：|
“I got a call from him yesterday. He said he was a project manager with XX Information Technology Co., Ltd. and that he hoped to enter into long-term cooperation with me, but he needed me to do a free 2,000 word sample translation first,” said a defrauded translator. Believing the lies that this man had told over the phone, the translator handed over the 2,000-word translation to the man without signing any contract. After this, the man disappeared without a trace.
Cases of fraud in the language service industry have been mushrooming as of late. Translators and language service providers whose rights and interests have been infringed upon have been growing in number. Anti-fraud has become a common problem facing language service providers. To safeguard translators’ lawful rights and interests and crack down on such types of fraud, an intensive anti-fraud effort has gradually unfolded within the industry.
On April 18, Transn joined hands with numerous other language service industry providers in announcing the establishment of the China Language Service Industry Anti-fraud Alliance. They also released the “Anti-fraud Declaration”. The declaration stated:
- We respect translators’ lawful rights and interests as well as their finished work products.
For this reason, we will spare no effort in assisting translators in dealing with instances of fraud and establish a system to protect translators. We will work from all sides to feasibly safeguard the lawful rights and interests of translators.
- In cooperation with a great number of language service providers and translators, we will establish the “China Language Service Industry Anti-fraud Alliance” and build a nationwide anti-fraud network to expose lawbreakers. Through this, we shall promote the healthy development of China’s language service industry,
- We will keep enhancing our relations with translators and language service provides to establish a style of honest cooperation.
As a major language service provider in China, Transn has always kept a watchful eye on the vital interests of translators. The company suggests that in the event of potential fraud hazards, please pay attention to:
- Promptly collecting and verifying the relevant information of translation project dispatchers and account settlement contact people such as project managers. This information includes identity information, contact information, and account information.
- Promptly verifying project details such as the assignment process, project cycle, and word count.
III. Promptly saving evidence obtained during communication with contact people. This can include written, recorded, and other types of evidence.
- In the event of perceiving that a contact person is behaving suspiciously, translators should seek help from the companies in whose names they were contacted at the earliest possible time so as to avoid damage.
The anti-fraud call has just been sounded. More translators and language service providers are needed to join the anti-fraud campaign. Together, we will build an environment that is free from fraud and leave criminals with no place to hide, making a genuine contribution to the healthy development of China’s language service industry.